Making Satisfactory Progress
Here is what it means to make “satisfactory progress” while in UD ARTC:
According to Title 14, Chapter 12, Subchapter VI, § 1260 (Links to an external site.), in order to successfully complete ARTC, a teacher candidate must “…demonstrate satisfactory progress toward standard certification.”
UD ARTC defines “satisfactory progress” as:
- Completing this Orientation Module within 10 CALENDAR DAYS of your hire as a Teacher of Record
- Adhering to the course schedule issued in your ARTC welcome letter with no more than one deviation (per year) by not taking a scheduled course during a semester (either due to failing to register or due to dropping or withdrawing from the course)
- While we understand that pursuing certification via an ARTC program is a time-consuming and rigorous experience, by accepting employment as a “teacher of record” while enrolled in ARTC, you are making a commitment to the Delaware Department of Education, your employing school and district, and most importantly, to your students–that you will do what is necessary (within the time allotted) to earn your full standard certification. While “life happens” and unforeseen circumstances can sometimes make it difficult to take all coursework according to the schedule in your ARTC welcome letter, you have a limited amount of time to complete these certification requirements. Furthermore, it takes a substantial amount of administrative time and effort to issue multiple course schedule revisions.
- Actively participating in the coaching process with your assigned coach
- Once you are issued your ARTC welcome letter, you will be added to the Alternative Routes to Certification Coaching Experience (“ACE”) on Canvas, an online learning management system. Expect an email from “Canvas Free for Teachers” that contains an invitation to join Canvas (just like the invitation you received to join this orientation “course”). Clicking the invitation link will prompt you to sign up for account; be sure to choose “student” when you join. Once you’ve joined ACE on Canvas, be sure to read the introductory information and then be vigilant for communication from your specific coach.
Failing to make “satisfactory progress” by not adhering to the expectations outlined above is grounds for dismissal from UD ARTC. Being dismissed from UD ARTC can result in the loss of your teaching position.