Enrolling in ARTC is a multistep process. Please review the requirements carefully to ensure all the necessary steps are taken. Visit Courses and Costs to learn about the fees for examinations and classes, as well as possible financial support.
1. First, we need to verify that you’re eligible!
Fill out the Statement of Interest. You will need unofficial copies of transcripts from any/all colleges you attended.
Within about a week of receiving your statement of interest, ARTC sends you:
- an email notifying you if you are eligible for ARTC.
- If you are eligible, ARTC notifies you what content area(s) you are eligible for, a breakdown of program costs, and instructions for next steps.
2. You need to search for and obtain a teaching position.
You will need to:
- register on Delaware’s DEEDS website to identify possible positions.
- register on www.joindelawareschools.org to advertise your availability and learn of openings in your field.
- visit the website of every Delaware school district and charter school that does not use JoinDelawareSchools.org and apply using their system.
- check all websites daily about new openings.
- remain persistent, patient and positive!
3. Once you have secured a teaching position, you are officially “in” ARTC and begin the program!
- confirm with your employer that you have been hired.
- send you, your employer and the Delaware Department of Education a welcome letter including a course schedule for you to follow.
The Delaware Department of Education will:
- issue you an initial license and emergency teaching certificate.
- follow the directions in the welcome letter that you receive from us and register for your first course!
4. Meeting your certificate requirements
- follow the directions in your welcome letter, registering for your classes each semester.
- pass the Praxis II (or ACTFL) exam by June 30 of your second year of teaching and send those scores to the Delaware Department of Education and ARTC.
- pass the edTPA by June 30 of your second year of teaching and send those scores to the Delaware Department of Education and ARTC.
- be evaluated by your school’s administrative team (just as all teachers are) and earn two satisfactory summative evaluations within two years.
- keep in touch with you regarding your progress.
- answer any questions you may have.
- send an annual update of your progress to you and your employer.
5. Receiving your standard certificate and completing ARTC
Once your coursework is completed, you have passed your Praxis (or ACTFL), and you have passed your edTPA…
- send a letter to you, your employer and the DE Department of Education, stating that you have completed all requirements for your certification.
- request that an official transcript be sent to your employing school district’s HR department.
- ensure that score reports from your Praxis (or ACTFL) and edTPA are on file with the Delaware Department of Education
Your employer’s HR department will:
- send a letter to the DE Department of Education recommending you for a standard certificate, based on the fact that you have done the following:
- completed all required ARTC courses with grades of a “C-” or higher
- passed the Praxis II (or ACTFL) exam(s) in your field
- passed the edTPA
- received a minimum of TWO “satisfactory” administrative summative evaluations of your teaching
The DE Department of Education will:
- “flip” your emergency certificate to a standard certificate.